Friday, March 16, 2012

400 Walking Lunges

I had a scare with my last pregnancy when I did some jump lunges, thought I was miscarrying again, and I felt a little defeated at first, like there wasn't a way I could get an intense workout in while I was pregnant. And it's true if you want intense and short. When you're pregnant, I think you have to just be patient and allow yourself more time for longer workouts to get the intensity you want - more reps instead of faster movements.

So instead of doing jump lunges, with my last pregnancy I did walking lunges. Lots of them. I'd go on a walk and do several sets of 50 lunges during the time. I started off doing 200 lunges, and I added another 50 every couple of weeks until I was doing 400 lunges. I did 400 lunges the day before my baby was born, and then I did 400 lunges again the week after she was born. Walking lunges is a measuring stick I use for myself. I've been doing Zwow lately and haven't measured my fitness via walking lunges for over 2 months...

until last night. I did them around 10:30 pm (daylight saving time has cursed my get to bed early habit) and I timed myself, I did 4 sets of 100 and my record was 100 walking lunges in 2:50. I did them late enough that I don't think my body had a chance to get sore yet, but I'm sure I'll be feeling it a lot tonight and tomorrow.

I'm going to keep up with this 400 walking lunges challenge and plan to go it once a month. I'll keep track of my scores in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment